Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Off-Topic Discussions
By SR9
Obviously members here have firearms, our Constitutional rights, hunting etc in common. There has even been a few threads on cars and motorcycles in the past.

Soooo, how about I probe the audience : Any Ham Radio operators out there?
By Hddreamer
Got me on that one , never had one ,use to have a cb,,,,,long time ago had fun with that , I've heard
about ham radios but never got one
By SR9
My parents were into CB back in the late 60s. They were active in a CB club in Norwalk. As for the radio, you can buy one but need to be licensed to use it for transmitting. I was licensed back in 1983 and operated regularly until 2000 when i had to take my antennas down to replace the roof on my last home.
After moving in 2013 I was unpacking the last of my stuff in 2015 and found all the radios and stuff that goes along with it. It sparked my interest again and I set up my station and put up a crude antenna. Been back on the air during the Winter months since. May of 2017 I put up a new, larger and better performing antenna. It was a project for sure.

In any case I thought I would throw out the question just to see if anyone out in forum land was a licensed ham radio operator. I think it is a hobby that either a person has interest in or they don't.
By Hddreamer
So I take it you need a permit for ham? Do you still need one for cb or did they do away with it ?
By SR9
Yes, you need to get licensed by the FCC for Ham Radio, not as difficult as that sounds. It will take some effort to learn the regulations and technical material though. Most clubs have classes and administer tests. Once you pass the test you get a call sign and you can get on the air and operate on frequencies and in many modes (Voice, Morse Code, and digital) depending on what level of license you have. There are 3 levels with more privileges as you show technical aptitude by passing the additional tests. The levels are Technician, General and Extra Class. You start with Technician.

The current licensing structure is very different from when i was first licensed in 1983. Back then there were more levels and each level had a morse code requirement.

As far as CB goes the license requirements were dropped in the late 70s. The FCC could not keep up with licensing and enforcing the rules. So CB has been and is essentially a free for all. My father was into CB in the 60s and had a call sign. He also belonged to the long gone Norwalk Citizens Band Radio Association, a club in Norwalk. I used to go to the meetings with him. That is really ancient history.
By Hddreamer
Great now your making me feel real old .......I had a call sign LOL sad part is I STILL REMEMBER IT !! LOL :)
By SR9
Hddreamer wrote:Great now your making me feel real old .......I had a call sign LOL sad part is I STILL REMEMBER IT !! LOL :)
Well your not alone. I remember my Dad's call sign like it was yesterday. Actually, I am glad we remember them, beats the alternative!
By SR9
JohnFH wrote:I want a ham radio, one for my house and one for the boat
I use 2meters(144Mhz) for all my mobile operations. I have 2 Kenwood TM-220 45W radios that used to be in my car and my wife's car. You can work direct or through an extensive network of repeaters. With a 2M radio in your car or boat you should have reliable communications.

Having a portable is nice to. I usually bring mine with me when I go hiking in case there is no service for the cell phone. I was able to talk to other hams on long island from the top of the tower in Mount Tom State park direct with 2Watts.

Fun stuff if that sort of thing interests you.
By JohnFH
I don't know much about it, I'm an electronics and science geek, and live on top of a 1350' hill so I should be able to get some killer range
By SR9
JohnFH wrote:I don't know much about it, I'm an electronics and science geek, and live on top of a 1350' hill so I should be able to get some killer range
Yes, most definitely. With that kind of elevation you should get out very well indeed.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!