Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Training related discussions.
By Rbadbadger
I've been looking for some official training, saw this website, they offer videos regarding gunsmithing. Is this too good to be true? anyone ever hear of this?
By GreggAndrews
I've been looking for some official training, saw this website, they offer videos regarding gunsmithing. Is this too good to be true? anyone ever hear of this?
To be totally honest with you, I could not learn what I have so far, by watching videos.

Admittedly, they can be a good aide to get you started... but nothing beats actually learning from someone else. :)
By Rbadbadger
Sadly, I have no one to show me lol
By GreggAndrews
Sadly, I have no one to show me lol
Well, you already work in a machine shop, right?

If so, you're 90% there. :)
By Rbadbadger
How do you figure?
By GreggAndrews
I'll put it this way. If you're any kind of halfway decent machinist, you already know the implications of fabbing up a part that is out of spec. It just won't work.

You also know that a few thousandths off, can be the difference from "it won't work" to "DANGEROUS". Have you ever seen a hydraulic line blow at the fitting? Very violent, and can F*CK YOU UP. We had a guy that would make fittings that were threaded REALLY short. Out of laziness? I do not know. We had a shitload of them blow & people get hurt.

If you can run a lathe, you can always pull the barrel from an action, and re-contour it. Chuck it up by the shank, & cut a nice taper. Have access to a Bridgeport? Get out your ball mills, time for you to cut fluting (assuming you can index the barrel)

Want to re-barrel a rifle? Get a nice barrel blank, turn down the shank, thread it, short-chamber it, and back it into the action. Finish headspace with the appropriate reamers & gauges.

If you have the knowledge to use such equipment, there are an INFINITE number of things you can do.

I'm sure John will chime in here. IIRC, he does some machine work too. :)
By Rbadbadger
I'm not worried about the machining aspect, it's how everything goes together, comes apart, and trouble shooting problems, I have no idea where to start. JohnFH knows the issue I had with that damn ruger mk III.
By GreggAndrews
I'm not worried about the machining aspect, it's how everything goes together, comes apart, and trouble shooting problems, I have no idea where to start. JohnFH knows the issue I had with that damn ruger mk III.
Dude, don't sweat it so much!

You do realize most of the people that watch these videos, have nothing more than a set of screwdrivers, a dremel, & a notion that they can become overnight gunsmiths... right?

You already have the experience behind equipment. You will easily figure it out. (I did... and I'm 19!!!) :)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!