Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

What if planning, survival, SHTF
By myglimk2
Please post suggestions on how to assemble an emergency bag in this thread.
By Hermes
As a backpacker, it's easy. I just have my backpacking gear all assembled and ready to go. I tend to leave components spread out on a shelf but I can be out the door in about a minute.

Water:
collapsable water pouch, hard-sided canteen, MSR water filter (you should get one - they're usually less than $100, and the ceramic filter can be cleaned and reused for 1000's of liters), iodine tablets. camelbak stays in backpack at all times.

Food:
Bag with granola bars, instant oatmeal, tuna fish, other miscellaneous small food items. Probably about enough to keep me going for 3 days. Can always grab more from the kitchen on the way out, plus foraging

Cooking gear/fire:
multifuel stove (another good investment - will run on anything from paint thinner to an isobutane canister), backup tiny isobutane burner. Matches, flint and steel, lighter. Wax log (I've started a fire in the middle of a snowstorm using one of these).

Shelter:
backpacking tent, sleep sack, sleeping bag. full rain gear, mosquito net. Folding saw (lighter than a hatchet, but you'll take longer cutting big pieces of wood).

Emergency supplies:
med kit (also keep a pack of matches, lighter, and iodine tablets in here). Hiking poles (I put these under emergency supplies because I carry them mostly for the purpose of in case I need a splint support or something to make a shelter out of). 6'x8' tarp. A few bundles of paracord. Pocketknife. Tiny folding trowel.

As you can see, there's quite a bit of redundancy here. 2 easy options for building a shelter and multiple options for water treatment. I left off the usual knives and guns, as everyone will have a different opinion on that. For me, if I'm in a big hurry, I'd grab my .22 revolver and a 500-round box. If there's more time, I'd be bringing all I could carry.

I'm going off the top of my head, so I'm sure when I go home and take a look at the shelf I'll see something I completely forgot to put on the list. For me, the key thing anyone should look to buy is a ceramic-element water filter. I love the MSR Miniworks, but other companies make a similar product.
By myglimk2
Thanks for the info, Hermes! Keep it coming guys! Hoping this thread can help others assemble there packs. 8)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!