Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with hunting, post pictures of your trophy, recipes for cooking or tips for fellow hunters.
Hey all,

So from my research, it appears i HAVE to take the hunting class from the state and no companies can offer it for a profit, is that correct? because the next 2 classes are already full and i really want to get out for upcoming season.

The NRA pistol license course, for example, is offered at many people as long as it is an approved curriculum. Is this not so with hunting class?

Is there any way around this so that i can get out there this season?

Also, i dont understand the A season vs B season. one has a lottery and one doesnt. which is better? can i hunt with a rifle?

I am new to hunting and would be very appreciative if you kind folk could answer these questions for me.

Thanks in advance.
By JohnFH
I'll see what I can do;
The State hunter safety course is the only one there is, you have to watch the schedule and jump in when a class gets posted.

The only way around that is to take the hunting class in another state, a state hunting class is good for all 50 states, one of the better things they have done.

We instructors are all volunteers and do classes as time permits.

I plan on doing a class in Aug, it will be posted on the web once I firm up the date.

You can hunt with 22 rifle/pistol, bow or shotgun only on state land, on private land over 10 acres, you can use a rifle 6mm or larger or a pistol .357 6"barrel or larger, or a shotgun or a bow.

Lottery is for deer, there is archery season, shot gun season A, shot gun season B, and muzzleloader season.

Some state land limits the number of hunters, requiring the lottery for specific properties. You should download the hunting guide from the state website, it has all of the state land open to hunting and the seasons for each property.
By sigequinox
JohnFH wrote:I'll see what I can do;
The State hunter safety course is the only one there is, you have to watch the schedule and jump in when a class gets posted.

The only way around that is to take the hunting class in another state, a state hunting class is good for all 50 states, one of the better things they have done.

We instructors are all volunteers and do classes as time permits.

I plan on doing a class in Aug, it will be posted on the web once I firm up the date.

You can hunt with 22 rifle/pistol, bow or shotgun only on state land, on private land over 10 acres, you can use a rifle 6mm or larger or a pistol .357 6"barrel or larger, or a shotgun or a bow.

Lottery is for deer, there is archery season, shot gun season A, shot gun season B, and muzzleloader season.

Some state land limits the number of hunters, requiring the lottery for specific properties. You should download the hunting guide from the state website, it has all of the state land open to hunting and the seasons for each property.
That clears up a lot, thanks..

From what i am reading it sounds like the lottery vs the non lottery are mutually exclusive and you can only choose one or the other. which is the better choice, or what are the benefits of each choice?

Thank you so much
By JohnFH
it really depends where you want to hunt, I hunt all 4 seasons on non lottery land
By myglimk2
John is an excellent teacher! 8)
By AGust82
Hopefully John can get you in one. Otherwise it's a real pain in the ass. Because of deals similar to this one (not saying I disapprove), classes fill up virtually instantly after they are listed. I recently heard about a loophole-ish way to get into a class though. Call the number and ask for the contact info for the instructor of the class you would have liked. Email/call the guy and asked to be waitlisted. Because the classes are free, and because people suck, a lot of times people don't show or cancel at the last minute. When I took mine there were i think 5 no-shows. Then I took the bow course about 5 years ago and only 17 of 31 on the list actually came. The instructors put a lot of personal time and effort into putting on these classes, so naturally it's irritating when people don't show. Most are happy to accommodate someone who respects what they are doing. A handfull of guys on another site I frequent have had luck using this method. Good luck.
By JohnFH
Because of deals similar to this one
I make no deals, classes are posted on the state web site and it's first come first serve. It's the only way it's done. We as instructors have no other options.

And yes there are usually no shows, and I have never taught a class where we turned away a walk in with no prior schedule. I can't speak for other instructors, but that is my experience.
By XM15
My brother and I took the hunters safety course a few years ago on a whim. I had no problem finding an open class. Looks like we lucked out; I must have found the class right when it opened up. :D

So glad I took the class when I did. I hope to be hunting for many years to come.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!